Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Shut it down before we're all out of time

I've most likely written a blog on this before, but you know how I am, I like to repeat myself because I have the memory of a tank of goldfish! Today, with all the cool new gadgets we're surrounded with, they practically consume our lives. Think about it though. How many hours do you spend on the computer, texting, or watching television? Compare that with how much time we spend with our families! Does the scale tip towards technology? Well, I love the song by MxPx: Shut It Down. There's a verse in the song that I simply love because it criticizes the way America has turned to.

It says: "Throw away your cell phone, you can talk to yourself. You need a real friend, not some digital image. So what's it gonna be? A chat room or your family? Don't let the TV screen turn into your reality"

There's a HUGE nugget of wisdom in those words. We become so wrapped up in our worldly goods that we forget about really living. It says later in the song "I don't want to die but I'm having trouble living." Our attachment to the world is slowly killing us because we aren't relying on God anymore. Matthew 6:24 says "Jesus said, no one can serve two masters. Either he will hate one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Are you more devoted to your possessions than to God? I find myself in the position all the time when I could be studying God's word instead of sitting online talking to my friends or just doing absolutely nothing because I'm to lazy to do anything for God! God offers things for us that won't wear out which is eternal life in Heaven. Why is it that we're willing to earn money for an iPod or a laptop and not willing to earn our place in Heaven. Sure, when you're saved and baptized, you reserve a room up there, but does it feel right to be working for worldly things and not for something even greater? I challenge you as I challenge myself to give up something worldly that you could live without like TV or your cell phone and instead spend that time doing something for God. Spend time with your families because you don't know how much longer you may have with them. Be a friend that's there instead on the other end of a computer.


1 comment:

lexidoodleellis said...

too true

ive been wasting all day today online instead of doing my quiet time and spending time with God!

im gonna go do it now!


alexis